Monday, March 21, 2011

Too Quick to Judge

I do not have enough experience with our justice system, in any capacity, to write about it with even a modicum of expertise. I can only express my opinions. Of course, I can express what I hope is true our justice system.

And what I hope is true of our justice system is that the principle of "innocent until proven guilty" really does form an important foundation of the system. Despite the fact that I think some, perhaps many, defense attorneys are not the noble people they might like us to believe they are, I believe they are, as a group, doing important work. They must do everything they can to call into question the state's arguments intended to prove guilt. Their job is open the door to doubts that their clients are guilty. And they must try to introduce doubts that the processes followed in making the case against their clients were conducted in accord with the rules.

We can't afford to make it easy for the government to prosecute anyone. If we ever relax and say it's OK to overlook the rules because someone is "obviously" guilty, we will be putting our freedom in jeopardy.

I don't like criminals any more than the next guy, but I happen to believe deeply in justice. Justice doesn't occur when we look the other way and let the state steamroll the bad guys. The bad guys deserve to be jailed, imprisoned, etc., but only after they are proven guilty, beyond any reasonable doubt and in accordance with the rules of evidence, etc.

I hate to see "obviously" guilty people walk due to a technicality. But I'd hate it even more to see innocent people lose their freedom due to our laziness or our too-quick-to-judge attitudes.

1 comment:

  1. or worse, be executed because of that laziness or quick-to-judge attitude.

    .

    ReplyDelete