Sunday, April 17, 2011

Serenity...Is it a Fable?

I am trying to remain calm...make that regain calmness...after learning on Friday that our Professional Employer Organization (PEO), the company that handles payroll, offers HR advice and--most importantly--makes it possible for us to have and to offer our employees health insurance is terminating our contract with 60 days notice.  No explanation.  Just doing it.  The contract says they can. So they are.

I seek serenity in the belief this can be overcome.  But it is very hard finding that serenity when I feel, with every fiber of my being and every bone in my body, that the people who made the decision to terminate the contract are the lowest form of human scum who deserve to be shunned and worse.  If there were justice, but unfortunately there is not, these people would experience first-hand the loss of their health insurance.  And it would happen immediately before learning of a serious illness that will wipe out their life savings without such insurance.  They would know, on a painfully personal level, why it is fundamentally wrong to look at something as impactful as the business decision they made as simply a matter of financial profit and loss.

I am serene.  I am serene.  I am not hoping for unspeakable things to befall people who have no heart, no soul, no essence of humanity in them.  I am not hoping for such things.

Serenity.  Calmness.

Is this concept of serenity real?  Or is it a fable?  I think, today,  it's the latter.  It's a concept fed to us by those who know how utterly impossible it is to accept injustice without entering the realm of rage.

No comments:

Post a Comment