Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pie in the Sky

I've had to deal with it for as long as I can remember: "Oh, come on, of COURSE you want a birthday cake!" No, I don't. I want a birthday pie. (The fact that it's not my birthday has no bearing on this discussion.)

Almost everyone seems to think it's just WRONG to turn down a birthday cake in favor of a birthday pie. But I don't. It's not that I have anything against cake. Cake is OK. In fact, there are plenty of cakes that I find appealing. But when it comes to my birthday, or anyone else's for that matter, I prefer pie. I don't think I have a favorite pie. If I did, it would probably be apple. Or cherry. Maybe pecan. Possibly peach. Chocolate pie is not my top choice, but I can eat it. Buttermilk pie is good. So is coconut cream pie.  And lemon meringue has a place.  As does black-bottom pie. 

It seems a bit odd to me that I, never much of a sweets-eater, have always liked pie.  What's odder still is the fact that the older I get, the more I like it.  I guess it would be even more odd if I were to like it more the younger I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment