Monday, January 3, 2011

It's OK to Laugh

As overwhelming as the world can be, as full of pain and suffering as it is, as hard-edged and dangerous as this earth is, we need something to carry us through. For me, part of that "something" is humor. A well-used sense of humor helps me keep my sanity (I realize some people would say humor didn't work in my case, but that's another story).

I heard an example of humor that I find appealing yesterday afternoon, as my wife and I were driving home from some errands. What I heard was Sharon Olds reading her poem, Diagnosis. The radio program was A Prairie Home Companion. I encourage you to read the poem (click on the link), Diagnosis. Tell me whether your sense of humor carries you through tough times.


3 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine what a life would be like without a sense of humor. Have you ever heard David Crosby's song Laughing? A nice piece of music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, I must have heard Laughing, but for some reason, it doesn't come to mind...I'll look for it and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humor is my salvation. I bow down to humor and wish it safe haven while I am asleep, because I need it to be there for me each and every morning when I wake.

    ReplyDelete