Sunday, January 9, 2011

Stop

When I first heard of the Arizona attacks and murders and the shooting of Representative Giffords, my immediate reaction was to place blame. I zeroed in on certain Republicans and Tea Partiers, including Sarah Palin, and others who often appear to me to subtly and not-so-subtly encourage "take no prisoners" attitudes. They seem to me to be inflexible and opinionated zealots who care more about achieving their objectives than they do they legitimacy of the means used to get there.

I was ready to take sides and stand shoulder-to-shoulder with my progressive brethren in saying, "See! See what you've done with your bullying ways and your public persona that suggests the ends justify the means?!"

But then I took a breath and allowed myself to acknowledge that I don't yet know enough to determine whether my suspicions are well-founded. We don't know yet, for sure, whether there was one shooter acting alone or whether there were two or more or even a gang or conspiracy. We don't know with certainty what drove the shooter to wantonly murder people, to do unspeakable things. It's simply unreasonable to jump to conclusions, though I understand what would prompt us to do so.

It's not right to condemn anyone, even someone I dislike as much as Palin, for "causing" the murderer to do what he did unless we know, with certainty, that's what happened. Even then, it probably is beyond reasonable for most of us to do more than condemn what we think led to the terrible events in Tucson.

It is, though, perfectly reasonable and rational and legitimate to insist that public discourse in this country be conducted in ways that show respect to all sides. Affording respect to one's opponents, even those opponents one finds repugnant, must be the "new" way for us in this country or, I believe, we are doomed. Even if opponents promote positions that I might find reprehensible, I should attack the position, not the person taking it. That's hard to do and, perhaps, impossible to do without bending one's own principles just a bit.

I know it's going to be hard for me, because it sometimes is virtually impossible for me to think of a person who holds a position I find immoral to be anything but just as immoral as the position the person holds. But it's necessary to divorce the person from the position.

Regardless of what motivated the attacker(s), the vitriolic attacks from one side of political divide on the other is unacceptable. Neither conservatives nor liberals can claim they are the innocents in this escalating battle. Both must either find a way to focus on ideas and persuasion or they must simply shut up.

Although I am very much a liberal, I have no more tolerance for liberals bashing conservatives than vice versa. Yes, it's the pot calling the kettle black; but I recognize my mistakes and will correct them, because to attempt to do anything else would be irresponsible, irrational, and beneath dignity.

I've made my share of mistakes. I've condemned plenty of people for the positions they hold, the party they support, or the extent to which their positions do no mirror mine. I hope the rest of this county's ranting screamers will join me in a collective correction.

No comments:

Post a Comment