Saturday, January 22, 2011

Just Say "No"

I didn't realize how much client board meetings could take out of me. I got home yesterday afternoon after a two-day, back-to-back set of board meetings. I piddled around a bit, had dinner, and by 7:30 pm was worn out. I decided to take a "nap" and the next thing I knew it was 6:00 am this morning, an hour later than I normally get up. Ten and a half hours of sleep is, for me, EXTREMELY unusual. But I suppose I must have needed it.

I feel fine today; rested, alert, and full of energy. I waited to make breakfast until my wife woke up (quite some time after I did...a LONG time after I did). Then, after breakfast, I got some office work done done (logged in to my office computer), showered, shaved, and am chomping at the bit to go out and do...something! I don't know what.

One thing is sure; I have to go to Central Market to pick up a pound of Lola Savannah coffee beans, as I finished up the last of the beans this morning. Sunday morning without them would be sacrilege. Weekends tend to be times I can get a lot done at the office because I am not constantly interrupted by telephone calls, email. questions from staff, etc., etc. But, on the other hand, I really want (and need) time to get away from work. It's a conundrum; I need to get a lot of work done, I can get a lot done on the weekends, I need to be at work every weekday, I need time away, weekends tend to be the only time I can get away...what to do, what to do?

Another jam-packed week awaits, with lots of meeting follow-up, catch-up from two days out of the office, a client webinar I'm presenting on Tuesday, and preparation for another client board meeting next weekend.

I have a feeling this weekend will be devoted primarily to personal stuff, for me. My wife is already preparing to go to the office, but I don't plan to join her this morning. Instead, I'll get a haircut, buy my coffee, and plan on meeting her somewhere for lunch. Would that we could both just say "no" to work at the same time.




No comments:

Post a Comment